Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A free man at last - Chapter 14

It finally dawned on us that it was a reality that we were to be released from jail. We went to our prison warders to tell them where we wanted to go. I told them that I wanted to go to my homeland, Inhambane. After we all have submitted our names and destinations, we were told that the Minister had decided that we must all be taken to Maputo. I did not like the idea, but I was forced to take whatever the FRELIMO government was offering. There were 17 of us namely: Jossias Dhlakama (former Tenente), Fernando Baptista (former Tenente), Sir Fawume (former Captain), Cornelio Bumila (former Captain), Pedro Chitimela (former Captain), Humbuto Laisee (former Captain), Sir Lipiwa (former captain), Constantino Dowane (former Captain), José Simango (former Captain), Sir Fernando (former Captain), José Massinga (former Director of Foreign Affairs), Sir Fernando Nhassingo (former Captain), Franciscos Vilancolos (former Captain), Marcos Chiviti (no title), Wendi Wenyere (former Captain), Alberto Sando (former Captain) and Issa Faume (no title).

We drove in the soldier’s jeep and after some 14-16 hours, we arrived in Maputo. Once there, I asked one of the guards why they didn’t take me to Inhambane. He told me that they feared for my life. They said it was safer to be in Maputo than in Inhambane. They were lying; they feared that I would mobilise my tribe to fight the Machel regime. I stayed in Maputo for two months looking for a job.

I stayed with my niece, Celia. Life was tough and we had to survive a whole month eating the one-kilogram of mealie-meal she received. My nephew, Joao, was still with me throughout those sufferings. I finally got a job in the state enterprise called NECANAGRO. My job at the Foreign Affairs Ministry was no longer valid – I never even went back to ask for it. I forgot about my project of teaching people about secretariat work. NECANAGRO oversaw the importation of machinery for agriculture. Within the first two weeks of working at the new company, we received white visitors from Zimbabwe. Those whites came to negotiate with the company.

There was a lack of communication between the two parties. They could not understand one another because of language barriers. The one party spoke English while the other spoke Portuguese. My boss, who was hesitant to call me to translate, ended up doing so. I found that there was much confusion because of the language barriers.

I interpreted for them, and the visitors were surprised that, in Mozambique, there was someone who could speak perfect English. After the meeting, the visitors called me to be with them. My boss was not happy but he had no choice. I befriended the visitors and told them that I wanted to go to Zimbabwe, and whether I could leave with them. I thought I would receive better treatment in Zimbabwean hospitals.
I also wanted to join the RENAMO movement with the aim of changing their fighting strategy from within. This was after many people had been killed in Maluane and they were transported to Maputo’s main hospital.

Machel was called to see what Dhlakama did. Machel’s comment was, ‘If your hair is too long, what do you do?’ The people said, ‘You cut it off’. Machel said, That’s right, we are being cut off because we are many, but we will multiply again, like our hair does after it is cut off.’

I had tried to contact many leaders with the aim of joining RENAMO, but they would ask many unnecessary questions. I decided to give up on that idea for they thought they knew better than I did. I was proud of my education and I hated the fact that most of the RENAMO representatives in exile were Indians. I had a strong belief that they were manipulating our people.

When the day arrived, I asked for a leave of absence and left with the visitors from Zimbabwe. When I arrived in Zimbabwe, I saw it as my chance to go overseas. I decided to ask for assistance to get to Portugal. My friends helped me to get a ticket to Portugal, but at first, it was not easy to obtain a visa.

Fortunately, the American Embassy in Zimbabwe informed the Portuguese Embassy that I had a family in America, this after the Americans had thoroughly researched my background. My motivation was that I wanted to visit my family before I died. I stayed in Portugal for a month and then left for the United States of America. In the USA, I stayed for some months with my family before I returned to Portugal

No comments:

Post a Comment