Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Life in Tanzania and the formation of FRELIMO - Chapter 9

I travelled with the lady to Tanzania, but on arrival she decided to make her own way. I learnt about the political movements of the time in Tanzania. These groups directed me to where the group of Mozambicans in Tanzania was situated. Again I met up with Dr. Eduardo Mondlane who was organising young people to fight a guerrilla war in Mozambique. He took this decision after the Portuguese failed to react to his request that they abandon slavery and apartheid, and introduce a multiparty system. He was surprised that I was still stranded in Africa. He told me that there might be still a chance for me to continue my studies overseas. He advised me to go to the American Embassy in Tanzania, to find out about the validity of my scholarship.

I was very close to Dr. Mondlane and many wondered why. I remember, that for about four days in succession, we spent the whole night talking about politics.

We used to talk about the struggle against the colonialists and about what would happen after the war, once Mozambique became independent. We talked about the importance of education and he promised me that I would be the first black Prime Minister once he was elected president after we had conquered the Portuguese. For him, there was no going back.

Dr. Mondlane was a brilliant man. He stated very clearly that FRELIMO was not a political party but an alliance. Political parties would be formed after independence and would participate in elections. His idea was that FRELIMO would be displayed in a museum as a symbol of respect and victory against the Portuguese. He was very sure that FRELIMO would conquer. I liked him and I respected him for the knowledge he had and for the respect he had for other people. He was prepared to sacrifice everything for the people of Mozambique and indeed, he did that. What we talked about were the promises he had made to the people during the FRELIMO congress.

In Tanzania, I witnessed the first congress of the Front Liberation of Mozambique (FRELIMO), which marked its formation. Many young men and women assembled for that congress. It was a big congress. Dr. Mondlane had brought together three underground movements that were fighting against the Portuguese, i.e. UNAMO, UDENAMO and NAMU. FRELIMO started when the three movements merged.

The speech Dr. Mondlane made in that congress was very sensitive and encouraging. One felt that there was a need to fight against the colonialists. He stated very clearly that FRELIMO was willing to share power with the Portuguese, even if they were defeated.

Dr. Mondlane was elected the first President of FRELIMO and Oris Smango was his Deputy. This did not happen through ballot voting in the first elections and Oris lodged a complaint. They then held elections for a second time and Dr.

Mondlane openly defeated Oris. The congress was marked with the singing of revolutionary songs and chanting of “Viva FRELIMO!”

After the congress, I went to the American Embassy in Tanzania to find out about my scholarship and discovered that it was still valid. Dr. Mondlane was still looking for young people who would go overseas to study. I remember very well that Joaquim Chissano and Pascoal Mocoumbi were some of those who were selected for scholarships. Everything was arranged for them to go to Europe and for me to go to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment