Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The circle has been completed - Chapter 16

By that time, FRELIMO was not sure whether a multiparty system was needed in Mozambique. I came face to face with Chissano and decided to warn him that, if he would not let political parties take part or if he would not let refugees come back to Mozambique, he might find himself in trouble, either with international bodies, or the people around him would kill him. By this time, FRELIMO wantedme to rejoin them, but I refused because I was not a chameleon.
I hated FRELIMO with all my heart and I knew that the people deserved better than what FRELIMO was giving them. I also went to Gorongosa to warn Dhlakama, who was hesitant to come out of the bush. I told him that people were looking to him to start apeace process.

I started my political party in 1992. My aim in forming this party was to make Mozambique practise the principles of democracy; for Mozambicans to speak out and have the freedom to do whatever they wanted to do; for Mozambique to be governed by a government elected by its people and to challenge FRELIMO on
its principles.

I was still single after my divorce in 1968. I had never committed to anybody else for my life was a little rough around the edges. In 1996 I married Arlinda Tongane Mufume, the mother of my third child and my first daughter Jacqueline, who was born in 1997. She is just six years old now.

Mozambique held elections in 1994 for the first time since a black man took power. PANADE participated, but it was in conjunction with two other political parties, i.e. PALMO and PANAMO, that operated under Uniao Democratico (UD).
There was a great atmosphere when people went to vote for the first time in their lives. I could sense fear though, because people were not sure of what was happening. RENAMO was scaring the people with rumours that they might go back to war if they lost the elections. The elections were successful and I was happy to have voted in the country of my birth for the first time. I could see the struggle I had fought against the Portuguese, and against the FRELIMO government, had been fruitful. It was such a joyful moment for me.

Uniao Democratico came third in the elections with nine seats. PANADE had one seat within those nine . I was one of those who were among the first members in the elected Parliament of my country. I was very happy to have witnessed such a wonderful moment. There was no more, ‘viva FRELIMO’ and there was no more ‘aluta continua’. Business people, black and white, were invited back. Mozambique was fighting for its economy. Yes, Mozambique was coming back!

We might have had misunderstandings in Parliament, but I was happy that it was what democracy was all about. Yes, politicians still are scared of the ruling party, but it is far better than during the days of a one party system. In Parliament, I met my enemy, Sergio Vieira, again. We shook hands as if nothing had happened.The people’s dreams were fulfilled. My long journey from Guma to Maputo had come full circle.
Mozambique was free.Dhlakama, Chissano and Sergio and many other FRELIMO giants were now able to sit with us and discuss the issues around the table. No more guns and killings.

While I was in Parliament, the only things I disliked were the unfulfilled promises made by the FRELIMO government. Corruption was what FRELIMO failed dismally to address. I also hated the fact that FRELIMO was not prepared to address the issue of the victims of the war. They pretended that nothing had happened in the past. I know that the truth will come out one day. Once FRELIMO disappeares, the people will then truly be free. I hated the fact that people who challenged FRELIMO’s principles were killed. I saw this as a step backward for our new democratic country.

I now had the opportunity to return to my my roots in Guma. The people of Guma restored the chieftaincy leadership to me, the chieftaincy I had fought for, some years back when the Portuguese and the Nembas had stolen it. Today if I die, I will die a happy man.

No comments:

Post a Comment